I actually thought Konami would just reveal Zoodiac Malmorat (Ratpier) and troll the community once again. In contrast though they created this monstrosity of a card.
A bizarre fusion tuner monster that requires 2 tuner monsters, Sea Monster of Theseus. So you’re probably wondering what makes a vanilla fusion monster the most broken card of 2017. Well first and foremost, this thing will likely be summoned by Instant Fusion rather by actually fusing tuners. What does this card do? Well like Konami claims in their blog, it creates a lot of options:
- Summon any Lv 5 monster, instant fusion into this. Make Ultimaya Tzolkin, set a card and get Crystal Wing Synchro Dragon
- Summon any Lv 3, instant fusion into this. Make Skill-Frame Lord Omega
- Summon any lv 4, instant fusion into this Make Vermillion Dragon Mech (which isn’t a good card, but it is an option)
- If you actually bother to summon this thing correctly, you can revive it with Mezuki and probably do horrific plays in a zombie synchro deck that even I can’t imagine.
Now there is one important thing we can gleam from this card’s reveal. Instant Fusion is safe. They would never recommend make this card Level Five if they didn’t want us to just cheat it out with Instant Fusion (they even recommend in it in their blog post). That being said this likely means Elder Entity Norden will finally die as this card comes to take the place as your new instant target. Of course this doesn’t do what Norden does, but it does open up many new plays.
Is it broken? Maybe. Is it good? It’s definitely a good card. Is it going to warp the format? Probably not, but it will enable alot of cheesy plays.
Speaking of cheesy, there are rumored changes to the rules of Yugioh on the horizon…
Ok so first and foremost, I don’t believe that any of these are true (except for maybe the reprints). I do remember that when Duelist Alliance came out they changed the rules of the game. Players were no longer allowed to draw on the first turn and both players were allowed to control a field spell. One of these rules made going first not broken (until recently…) and the other rule made field spells much more powerful.
As for these new changes let’s analyze them for a moment:
- Each player starts with 120000 lifepoints instead of 8000. Well with this rule change not only do burn decks die, but OTKs also become a lot less consistent. Now while many players like OTKs, it’s just to easy to OTK your opponent in the era of modern Yugioh. I think this rule change would be an improvement to Yugioh, HOWEVER this change would upset so many fans that I can’t see it actually occur. Also cards like Ancient Leaf would have to be banned in a second.
- The player who goes first cannot pendulum summon. I agree with this rule change. Pendulum summoning is fun, but it’s also incredibly unfair. This change would hurt the mechanic and make going first with a pendulum deck less powerful. I think this rule change is fairly reasonable. The only issue I see is that Pendulum decks that prefer to go first are literally just Metalfoes (which can always fusion summon instead) and Odd Eyes Magicians (which haven’t been relevant since 2015). Even if this rule change occurred I’m not sure if it does that much.
- New banished zone located behind the leftmost Spell/Trap zone. This is completely reasonable. Ever since Pot of Desires came out the banished card zone has become incredibly important. The only problem with this rule change is that mats will have to be edited yet again (just like with the Pendulum zones).
- 4th deck outside of Main, Extra and Side deck as well as a 4th deck zone located behind the rightmost Spell/Trap zone. No way, this is nonsense, this will not happen. Yugioh does not need another deck zone. What are we even going to put in this 4th deck? What does this even mean?! Ironically enough this is one change I could most see happening as the gimmick of the 6th Yugioh series.
Anyway, that’s the Yugioh news for early 2017. Oh yeah some of the Zoodiac rarities are out. The sad truth is that even if Zoodiac Ratpier is a super rare, the deck will still be expensive…
Alright, I’m out of here.
Thanks for reading as usual. I hope they don’t break Yugioh.